Pages

December 2, 2015

a thanksgiving mindset

 
          Thanksgiving happened a long time ago.... (Wait, was it only last week? oh my.) It feels like a lifetime has gone by since then; those turkey dinners and laughter-filled evenings are memories of the past. However, I am still in complete awe of the overabundant blessings in my life-- my mind is still focused on thanksgiving.

         Firstly, I have a network of family and friends like no other. Of course that sounds cliché -- everyone says they are thankful for friends and family. But honest to goodness. I love the people surrounding me. They are joyful, inspiring individuals and I don't know where in creation I would be without them. Our family gatherings are loud and exciting: there are usually little kids running about with their energetic chatter, theological debates, spontaneous music sessions, and the like. We are not perfect, but we are family---tied together with the endurable bonds of loyalty and love.


          There are times in my life when I start to freak out about finances and start scheming various get-rich-quick strategies, but I have to remember that God has always provided. He provided me with a clean functional car after my accident. He dropped a free piano into my lap -- (a beautiful upright with wood carving!). I was even gifted with a furry, grey kitten yesterday morning when it showed up on my doorstep. I have never gone hungry, and my living space is comfortable and warm....  Life is pretty okay I guess :)


     
          Recently, I stumbled across David's song of thanksgiving in 2 Samuel chapter 22. After reading it, I found that it pretty much covered everything -- from praising God, to destroying enemies, to words of thankfulness. The song struck a chord with me, so I will share a sample of it with you:

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation,
my stronghold and my refuge,
my saviour; you save me from violence.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
and I am saved from my enemies."
........................
"For this I will extol you, O Lord, among the nations,
and sing praises to your name." 

No comments:

Post a Comment