Pages

December 23, 2015

womanhood and book thieves


           A candle is lit in each window, there is a furry kitten in my lap and hot cocoa at my elbow. Everything in this picturesque scene is perfect --- except the dismal lack of snow. (All of my friends left for Florida this Christmas, but they didn't have to. There is tropical, 65 degree warmth here in Missouri.)
These days my life has consisted of the following:
Reading.
Two weeks ago my friend lent me the "Book Thief" by Markus Zusak..... and oh how INTERESTING it is! Every evening I curl up in bed with the thick black volume to absorb more of the captivating story. Mosi joins me -- licking me on the nose and begging for eggnog. 
The book started out like this:
"DEATH AND CHOCOLATE

First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try.

***HERE IS A SMALL FACT ***
You are going to die...."
 
Clearly you can see the book is lovely. Clearly.
I won't give away any of the plotline because you simply have to read it for yourself. But I will say this: the words are full of life and vibrancy, the descriptions are startlingly accurate, and each chapter leaves me breathless. Now go. Read it. Learn about the girl with no words, and the basement dwelling Jew.
          Perhaps it is habit or perhaps it is my short-attention span, but I can never read one book at a time. My second project is "Winsome Womanhood: Familiar Talks on Life and Conduct" by Margaret Sangster. It was published in 1900, so I had a difficult time finding a copy to purchase. Thank goodness for the interwebs!! By stumbling upon Forgotten Books, I found a paper back version and promptly whipped out the credit card.
In her forward, M. Sangster says: 
 
I have called the book "Winsome Womanhood" because it is my firm belief
that we are strongest as we are gentlest,
that the "loving are the daring," and that the ideal Christian
woman should be especially serene, tender, and full of charm.
....With Martha, she may be enterprising, busy, and efficient, but with Mary also,
she shall find time to sit at the Master's feet."
 
Criminy! there is so much wisdom in this book! Each page brings insight and inspiration to my mind: in order to fathom the depths of its words, I read each chapter multiple times through. 
True, "WW" may have been written 115 years ago, but the life principles of a godly woman are equally relevant today. The biblically founded teachings are giving me renewed determination to lead my life with calmness, joy, integrity and a loyalty to God.
          Soooo.
Now it's your turn!! Please tell me what you have been reading and don't hesitate to give me suggestions. I am not a picky reader. I am a voracious reader and books are completed faster than they are accumulated.
     P.S. Isn't that blue china mug absolutely dahling?!

No comments:

Post a Comment