Pages

March 23, 2014

create in me a pure heart

I have a confession to make:
I am imperfect. 

There are times when I am vain and boastful; I talk about myself too much, say things against others. My thoughts are impure, my actions unjust. Sometimes I just feel weighted down with uncleanliness. It’s a horrible tainted feeling which I’m sure every single human being has experienced.  

That’s when Psalm 51 comes in handy. Reading that passage is like washing off all the caked on mud in a hot shower! The words pour over you like water.  

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 

What assurance we can draw from that very verse alone!  

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight…. 

We are humans—fallen short of the glory of God. But there is a difference between living in sin, and admitting our shortcomings to God and striving constantly to follow Him.  

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.  

These are only segments from Psalm 51. You have to go read it for yourself to get every bit of wonderfulness from David’s song! I’m just putting it out there because we are broken and we need to feel God’s unfailing love and the joy of His salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment