Pages

September 4, 2012

O.I.

Today is the official start of our annual family vacation on Onset Island, Massachusetts. Sadly, the Dey clan was unable to make it this year; so to make up for our absence, we are trying to read as many poems as possible, sing "Capital Ship" very loudly, play knockout, and read out of the dictionary.

There are however, many things you cannot replace, like the salty air and sandy beaches, the echoing call of the osprey, breath taking sunsets or the mob of cousins running recklessly all over the island.

 I have many memories from past years spent at Onset Island. For example: the time I lost my flip flop in the mucky sandbar. While I was fishing around for it, some people in a passing boat waved to me and shouted (a little too enthusiastically) "Happy clamming!"

How about the time we fixed the copy machine with a hair elastic, or the numerous times we had to wash cormorant poop off the floating dock? And oh do I remember the Saturday Night Dance that one year when the floodlights suddenly went out! I am positive that no one has ever experienced such adventurous and exciting family vacations as we have.
 
  
In our last edition of the Deyly News we featured a list of "100 Reasons Why You Should Go to Onset Island.” Here it is: 
 
 










I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.       
 --John Masefield

No comments:

Post a Comment